The chances of the ground shaking more violently in a quake is much higher than previously thought for large parts of the country, RNZ reports. In some places it has doubled or even trebled. A new national seismic hazard model has been released that gives the most accurate forecasts yet of the shaking each town and city can expect, and what to build for.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor