The “No confidence” vote in local body elections could be as high as 60% by the end of this week, NZ Herald reports. In fact, voter turnout is currently trending lower than 40%, meaning New Zealand could be headed for a record-low voter turnout. It seems that throughout the country there is a similar level of anger and disenchantment with local politicians, which should dispel any rosy idea that lower voter turnout is in some way positive.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor