A baby suffered an overdose and had to be taken to hospital by ambulance, after they were accidentally given methadone instead of medication to treat colic, Newshub reports. The pharmacist had left an unlabelled bottle containing methadone on the dispensary bench and a pharmacy technician inadvertently used that bottle to prepare the omeprazole prescription for the baby. Deputy Commissioner Dr Vanessa Caldwell found the pharmacist didn’t dispense methadone safely and failed to carry out the appropriate checks in the dispensing process, leading to the error in dispensing the baby’s medication.