Fire and Emergency says lithium-ion battery devices such as smartphones, laptops and vapes can be dangerous and should be dealt with carefully, RNZ reports. The warning comes after an Auckland home was recently set alight by the spontaneous combustion of a lithium-ion battery from a drill that was under a workbench. The accident is one of 35 in 2022 so far, sparked by this type of battery. FENZ spokesperson Todd O’Donoghue said people should avoid charging lithium-ion devices on bedside tables or flammable surfaces.