The High Court has declined to recognise that Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei have exclusive mana whenua rights in Auckland region, RNZ reports. The case is part of a seven-year legal battle by Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei to assert its exclusive legal rights as mana whenua. Central to the case is a challenge to the Crown’s proposal to offer land parcels within Auckland central to the Hauraki-Marutūahu Collective redress.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor