Dairies are experiencing an “explosion” in crime, but police are making fewer arrests, Stuff reports. Data released by police under the Official Information Act showed within the first 11 months of 2021, dairy and convenience store theft was up 30% on 2020 figures, and burglaries were up nearly 20%. Auckland was the worst-hit region, with retail offences rising by 25.8%. Some say the Government is “soft on crime” committed against retailers.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor