Beneficiaries calling Work and Income (WINZ) for help say they are enduring long waits – often of more than an hour – to talk to someone, RNZ reports. However, the Ministry of Social Development – which oversees Work and Income – says last week, its staff answered 96,372 calls through its call centres. The ministry says they also had to pitch in to help with the Covid-19 health response, with a welfare helpline for people who need support with supplies and money while self-isolating.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor