An injured Waiheke Island man put out a desperate SOS call on social media for help and the island’s residents were quick to respond, NZ Herald reveals. Late on Saturday night, Raymond Waru collapsed on to his desk chair after his leg twisted and dislocated his hip. The 69-year-old put out an SOS on the Waiheke Facebook page, and within 10 minutes of his virtual cry for help, he heard what he described as “voices in the night calling his name”. After being treated at Auckland Hospital, Waru was home the next afternoon and is feeling extremely grateful to the Waiheke community.
- Ōrakei kaumātua return home, decades after settlement was razed by the Crown
- Family’s lucky escape as truck crashes into West Auckland home
- Waiheke marina: Protectors hīkoi to High Court at Auckland for injunction hearing
- Three Auckland nightclubs listed as ‘close contact’ locations of interest
- Non-perishables being collected in Auckland for Tonga from Friday