Auckland councillor Chris Fletcher has landed herself in hot water after likening Labour and National’s new housing policy for Auckland to “rape”, NZ Herald reports. Councillor Cathy Casey was appalled at the reference to rape and wanted Fletcher to withdraw the comment. Committee chairman Chris Darby asked the Albert-Eden-Puketāpapa ward councillor to withdraw the comment. Instead, she said the plans were “gang rape” – a reference to the policy being done by two parties. After a further request from Darby, Fletcher agreed to withdraw the comments.
- Ōrakei kaumātua return home, decades after settlement was razed by the Crown
- Family’s lucky escape as truck crashes into West Auckland home
- Waiheke marina: Protectors hīkoi to High Court at Auckland for injunction hearing
- Three Auckland nightclubs listed as ‘close contact’ locations of interest
- Non-perishables being collected in Auckland for Tonga from Friday