Aucklanders have been asked not to flock to dangerous west coast beaches as outdoor recreation opens up across the region, Stuff reports. Aucklanders can now travel anywhere in the region to take part in outdoor recreation, but Surf Lifesaving Northern Region has warned of the dangers of the west coast and urged Aucklanders to avoid heading there. Lifesaving operations manager James Lea said lifesavers understood people had become restless during lockdown – but the west coast was “unforgiving”. October 2020 saw a “big increase” in critical incidents at west coast beaches, including two deaths and six other rescues.
- Auckland and Northland hotels will allow only fully vaccinated guests
- St Heliers footpath protesters don’t let lockdown get in way of halting digger
- Poorly vaccinated south Auckland suburbs pass 50 per cent double-dosed
- Covid-19: Survivor says virus had him ‘boiling from the inside’
- Wrestling with forestry decisions