Police are “considering charges” over the weekend’s anti-lockdown protest led by Destiny Church’s Brian Tamaki – saying the organisers failed to manage the event as agreed, Stuff reports. On Saturday, more than 1000 people gathered at Auckland Domain for the protest, leading to fears of the virus spreading through the mass gathering. A police spokeswoman said an investigation into the event was in its final stages, adding, “Police are disappointed at the large numbers, and that organisers did not follow through on undertakings they had given police about how the event would be managed.” As of Monday, over 97,000 people have signed a petition calling for Brian Tamaki to be charged over the protest.
- Auckland and Northland hotels will allow only fully vaccinated guests
- St Heliers footpath protesters don’t let lockdown get in way of halting digger
- Poorly vaccinated south Auckland suburbs pass 50 per cent double-dosed
- Covid-19: Survivor says virus had him ‘boiling from the inside’
- Wrestling with forestry decisions