Auckland’s tourism operators are preparing for a busy return to Level 2, Stuff reports. But even a rush of Aucklanders exploring their backyard won’t make up for a long lockdown after a tough 18 months. Tourism Industry Aotearoa is calling for wage subsidies to remain in place even if alert levels change next week, saying Auckland’s closed boundary makes level 2 very similar to level 3 for the tourism industry. Tourism is not an industry where you can work from home, Jasmin Macdonald who runs Leigh Central in north Auckland said. “We’re reliant on people coming to us – if they can’t come, we can’t make money”.
- Auckland and Northland hotels will allow only fully vaccinated guests
- St Heliers footpath protesters don’t let lockdown get in way of halting digger
- Poorly vaccinated south Auckland suburbs pass 50 per cent double-dosed
- Covid-19: Survivor says virus had him ‘boiling from the inside’
- Wrestling with forestry decisions