Muriwai Beach will again close to vehicles for a period over summer, Stuff reports, over increasing concerns about the behaviour of people who drive vehicles on the beach in northwest Auckland. Sixteen councillors and Mayor Phil Goff supported the 18-day closure from December 31, 2021, until January 17, 2022. Rodney Local Board’s primary concerns included damage to the environment from vehicles illegally accessing the dunes, along with public safety. Many people who ride horses on the beach said vehicle access to it is a “fatality waiting to happen”.
- Auckland and Northland hotels will allow only fully vaccinated guests
- St Heliers footpath protesters don’t let lockdown get in way of halting digger
- Poorly vaccinated south Auckland suburbs pass 50 per cent double-dosed
- Covid-19: Survivor says virus had him ‘boiling from the inside’
- Wrestling with forestry decisions