When Covid restrictions put a spanner in the works of Blind Low Vision NZ’s training of guide dogs, the organisation looked south and got a border exemption, Stuff reveals. The future guide dogs would usually be trained in Auckland, but three trainers and six guide dogs have been walking Hamilton’s empty streets since September 2, and will continue under alert level 2. It costs up to $70,000 each year to raise one qualified dog. Up to 40 dogs are trained every year in New Zealand and there are about 100 on the puppy programme at various stages.
- Auckland and Northland hotels will allow only fully vaccinated guests
- St Heliers footpath protesters don’t let lockdown get in way of halting digger
- Poorly vaccinated south Auckland suburbs pass 50 per cent double-dosed
- Covid-19: Survivor says virus had him ‘boiling from the inside’
- Wrestling with forestry decisions