Watching her son recover from major brain surgery in a hospital room in Lockdown Level 4, mum Haley Read had one simple wish: to have him home in time for his birthday. With the family split between the hospital and their home in Howick, Read just wanted Cartyr to be able to celebrate turning 9 with his twin sister Indy, Stuff reports. Carter made it home, despite a fever setting him back by two days. “He’s so happy to be home,” Read said. Cartyr is due for a second surgery at the beginning of November to try to remove the rest of the tumour before radiation next year, and the funds raised via a Givealittle page have taken weight off the family’s shoulders.
- Auckland and Northland hotels will allow only fully vaccinated guests
- St Heliers footpath protesters don’t let lockdown get in way of halting digger
- Poorly vaccinated south Auckland suburbs pass 50 per cent double-dosed
- Covid-19: Survivor says virus had him ‘boiling from the inside’
- Wrestling with forestry decisions