Auckland’s ratepayers have had to fork out nearly $100,000 to clean up illegally dumped rubbish containing asbestos – a proven carcinogen- along Ararimu Valley Rd in northwest Auckland’s Waimauku, Stuff reveals. The clean-up took five days, and because of Covid-19 alert level 4 restrictions, it was more expensive than usual. Mayor Phil Goff said the council and police were working to track down those responsible and called their actions “irresponsible” and “selfish”. Rodney Local Board chairman Phelan Pirrie said not only did the rubbish cost “a hell of a lot” of money to remove, but it was also a public safety hazard.
- Auckland and Northland hotels will allow only fully vaccinated guests
- St Heliers footpath protesters don’t let lockdown get in way of halting digger
- Poorly vaccinated south Auckland suburbs pass 50 per cent double-dosed
- Covid-19: Survivor says virus had him ‘boiling from the inside’
- Wrestling with forestry decisions