Ten inmates at a high security South Auckland prison are being equipped with skills that court lucrative roles in tech companies all over the world. But, asks Michael Andrew of The Spinoff, do they actually have a chance at being employed once released? New Zealand has one of the highest per capita incarceration rates in the OECD, with a reoffending rate of 50%. Take2 is a programme teaching a small group of prisoners how to code, reidentify themselves and improve their lives. “We’re not buying into the stigma of ‘once a prisoner always a prisoner,’’’ says Cameron Smith, Take2’s founder and CEO.
- Auckland and Northland hotels will allow only fully vaccinated guests
- St Heliers footpath protesters don’t let lockdown get in way of halting digger
- Poorly vaccinated south Auckland suburbs pass 50 per cent double-dosed
- Covid-19: Survivor says virus had him ‘boiling from the inside’
- Wrestling with forestry decisions