A rare sea turtle that washed up on Auckland’s Muriwai Beach has died on August 7 despite medical intervention by veterinarians, Stuff reports. The adult olive ridley turtle – believed to be female – arrived in Auckland Zoo’s care on August 3 after being found on the beach by a local resident. Tests confirmed the turtle had muscle parasite which has no specific treatment that eats away at the muscles, causes large amounts of muscle damage, and can fatally impact organs like kidneys and liver.
- Auckland and Northland hotels will allow only fully vaccinated guests
- St Heliers footpath protesters don’t let lockdown get in way of halting digger
- Poorly vaccinated south Auckland suburbs pass 50 per cent double-dosed
- Covid-19: Survivor says virus had him ‘boiling from the inside’
- Wrestling with forestry decisions