The University of Auckland has announced a change to its Māori name, and will now be known as Waipapa Taumata Rau, Stuff reports. The university’s previous Māori name was “Te Whare Wānanga o Tāmaki Makaurau”, a more literal translation of its English name. The replacement name underpins a new strategic direction, one that aims to “build respect for Māori knowledge” and challenges the public to understand the deep roots of Māori history and culture.
- Auckland and Northland hotels will allow only fully vaccinated guests
- St Heliers footpath protesters don’t let lockdown get in way of halting digger
- Poorly vaccinated south Auckland suburbs pass 50 per cent double-dosed
- Covid-19: Survivor says virus had him ‘boiling from the inside’
- Wrestling with forestry decisions