Environmentalists against a marina being built on Waiheke Island took their protest to the doorstep of Auckland Council on Friday, Newshub reports. The group, Protect Pūtiki, has been occupying the construction site of Kennedy Point Marina for more than 120 days. They say the marina endangers a nearby colony of kororā (little blue penguin) and the council never should have granted resource consent for the project. Meanwhile, Kennedy Point Marina developers are firm with their stand that the construction will not endanger the kororā colony and defend their right to build the structure.
- Auckland and Northland hotels will allow only fully vaccinated guests
- St Heliers footpath protesters don’t let lockdown get in way of halting digger
- Poorly vaccinated south Auckland suburbs pass 50 per cent double-dosed
- Covid-19: Survivor says virus had him ‘boiling from the inside’
- Wrestling with forestry decisions