The final piece of City Rail Link’s Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM), Dame Whina Cooper, is now in place, allowing the big underground factory to operate at full capacity on its transformational journey below Auckland, Auckland Council announces. Fitting a conveyor belt to the TBM to continually remove spoil excavated underground allows the project to shift tunnelling up a gear to a 24-hour-seven-day-a-week operation. A team of 12, below and above ground, operates the TBM on its 24/7 schedule. Three teams rotate shifts every 12 hours.
- Auckland and Northland hotels will allow only fully vaccinated guests
- St Heliers footpath protesters don’t let lockdown get in way of halting digger
- Poorly vaccinated south Auckland suburbs pass 50 per cent double-dosed
- Covid-19: Survivor says virus had him ‘boiling from the inside’
- Wrestling with forestry decisions