The government is commiting to a $785m standalone cycleway bridge across Waitematā Harbour, TVNZ reports. The move was announced on Friday by Transport Minister Michael Wood, following the incident on Sunday where more than 1000 cyclists forced two northbound lanes of the Harbour Bridge to close. The project – expected to take five years – will not be attached to the existing Auckland Harbour Bridge as the existing piers are not able to accommodate the extra weight without considerable modifications.
- Auckland and Northland hotels will allow only fully vaccinated guests
- St Heliers footpath protesters don’t let lockdown get in way of halting digger
- Poorly vaccinated south Auckland suburbs pass 50 per cent double-dosed
- Covid-19: Survivor says virus had him ‘boiling from the inside’
- Wrestling with forestry decisions