Shellfish gathering has been banned at an Auckland beach to help shellfish beds recover, Newshub reports. Cockle Bay/Tūwakamana’s new rules cover the diminishing population of species such as cockles, green-lipped mussels, oysters, crabs, limpets, starfish, periwinkles, whelks, barnacles, and snails. The ban will be reviewed in three years. Suspicious fishing activity should be reported to the 0800 4 POACHER (0800 47 62 24) hotline.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor