Auckland’s City Rail Link is another step closer to completion, with the launch of ‘Dame Whina Cooper’ – the tunnel-boring machine – at the project’s Mt Eden site, Stuff reports. The machine, named in an ode to the Māori land rights activist, is set to start cutting into Auckland soil in mid-May. The 130 metre-long machine is scheduled to complete the first tunnel towards the end of the year, before returning to Mt Eden in sections and preparing for its second tunnel drive next year. The two tunnels and stations are due to be completed by late 2024.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor