Auckland Council is considering what can be done to secure the safety of an unprotected Mount Eden tree, RNZ reports. The governing body addressed the century-old pōhutukawa which lost its protection due to a clerical error during the Unitary Plan’s introduction. While reversing the error would incur costs, the council is already exploring several options to reinstate the tree’s protection. Changes to the Resource Management Act largely removed blanket tree protection over five years ago.
- Ōrakei kaumātua return home, decades after settlement was razed by the Crown
- Family’s lucky escape as truck crashes into West Auckland home
- Waiheke marina: Protectors hīkoi to High Court at Auckland for injunction hearing
- Three Auckland nightclubs listed as ‘close contact’ locations of interest
- Non-perishables being collected in Auckland for Tonga from Friday