Auckland Council is considering what can be done to secure the safety of an unprotected Mount Eden tree, RNZ reports. The governing body addressed the century-old pōhutukawa which lost its protection due to a clerical error during the Unitary Plan’s introduction. While reversing the error would incur costs, the council is already exploring several options to reinstate the tree’s protection. Changes to the Resource Management Act largely removed blanket tree protection over five years ago.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor