Three people were fined $4390 collectively, after being caught taking shellfish from an off-limits Auckland beach, TVNZ reports. Eastern Beach near Howick was closed off from kai moana gatherers, in an effort to restore the area’s shellfish population. Jonathan Farrow-Russell, 35, Milika Tulikihakau, 22, and Connie Carter Pooi, 24, were caught red handed by Honorary Fisheries Officers on March 13 last year, while inspecting their catch. They appeared in the Manakau Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday.
- Ōrakei kaumātua return home, decades after settlement was razed by the Crown
- Family’s lucky escape as truck crashes into West Auckland home
- Waiheke marina: Protectors hīkoi to High Court at Auckland for injunction hearing
- Three Auckland nightclubs listed as ‘close contact’ locations of interest
- Non-perishables being collected in Auckland for Tonga from Friday