Three people were fined $4390 collectively, after being caught taking shellfish from an off-limits Auckland beach, TVNZ reports. Eastern Beach near Howick was closed off from kai moana gatherers, in an effort to restore the area’s shellfish population. Jonathan Farrow-Russell, 35, Milika Tulikihakau, 22, and Connie Carter Pooi, 24, were caught red handed by Honorary Fisheries Officers on March 13 last year, while inspecting their catch. They appeared in the Manakau Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor