Emergency services are in search of a man who went missing while fishing off the rocks at Piha beach in west Auckland, Stuff reports. The man and a friend had gone out to the beach early on Tuesday morning, and the fisherman was reported missing at about 5:30am, according to a police spokeswoman. Piha beach, on Auckland’s west coast, is known for its strong surf and rugged scenery. The water is known for having strong and often dangerous currents, and is patrolled by lifeguards during the summer months.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor