The owners of popular Auckland eatery Monsoon Poon have no plans to change the restaurant’s name, despite it being widely interpreted as a reference to female genitalia, Stuff reports. Opposition to the name and the restaurant’s use of the controversial slogan “Love U Long Time” has been growing, in the wake of a spate of anti-Asian hate crimes overseas. Co-owner Nicola Richards confirmed on Wednesday the phrase had been removed from the footpath on Lower Hobson St in central Auckland, but there are no plans to change the name of the restaurant, despite “poon” being a slang term for female genitalia.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor