A new court action has been launched by community groups who are concerned that the development of a new marina at Auckland’s Waiheke Island will wipe out a colony of little blue penguins, TVNZ reports. It comes as developers say they were already looking at how to manage the birds. The 180-berth marina – which has been signed off by the council – was halted last week after protest efforts stepped up.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor