Organisers admitted expecting thousands of people to celebrate the return of Pasifika Festival which opened in Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland on Monday, RNZ reports. The event was cancelled the past two years due to terror attacks in Christchurch and the Covid-19 pandemic respectively. Minister for Pacific Peoples, Aupito William Sio, has urged attendees to be constantly alert and be vigilant during the celebration. Pasifika has been able to go ahead under Alert Level 1 and will be delivered in line with the Health Ministry’s Covid-19 guidelines. Pasifika Festival is organised by Auckland Unlimited and Auckland Council in partnership with The Pasifika Festival Villages Charitable Trust.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor