Organisers admitted expecting thousands of people to celebrate the return of Pasifika Festival which opened in Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland on Monday, RNZ reports. The event was cancelled the past two years due to terror attacks in Christchurch and the Covid-19 pandemic respectively. Minister for Pacific Peoples, Aupito William Sio, has urged attendees to be constantly alert and be vigilant during the celebration. Pasifika has been able to go ahead under Alert Level 1 and will be delivered in line with the Health Ministry’s Covid-19 guidelines. Pasifika Festival is organised by Auckland Unlimited and Auckland Council in partnership with The Pasifika Festival Villages Charitable Trust.
- Ōrakei kaumātua return home, decades after settlement was razed by the Crown
- Family’s lucky escape as truck crashes into West Auckland home
- Waiheke marina: Protectors hīkoi to High Court at Auckland for injunction hearing
- Three Auckland nightclubs listed as ‘close contact’ locations of interest
- Non-perishables being collected in Auckland for Tonga from Friday