A man who fatally attacked an Auckland party-goer is set to be deported to Samoa after he is released from prison, RNZ reports. Esau Vailagilala was 19 when he tackled John Li’a to the ground after a birthday party in Mt Roskill in 2011. He was joined by two other men and they used weapons to attack and stab the victim, who bled to death. Vailagilala, now aged 28, arrived in New Zealand in 2009 through adoption by his aunt.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor