New Zealand spends almost one billion dollars every three months on housing support in an effort to plug the gaps in social housing, TVNZ reports. The Government links the rising costs to the skyrocketing housing market plus its plan to build 18,000 new social houses by 2024. Meanwhile, politician John Tami is taking Auckland Council body – Panuku Development – to the Human Rights Tribunal, over a 30 per cent cap to limit social housing at a planned complex in South Auckland.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor