Cinemas hit hard by Covid-19 are calling for further Government support, so audiences can return to the theatre as more blockbusters hit our shores, TVNZ reports. Auckland’s Academy Cinema has faced a major financial loss over the past year, fearing another lockdown could cause permanent closure. The Academy’s General Manager, Gorjan Markovski, as well as The Roxy Cinema project manager, Annabelle Snelling, are requesting more government support for live cinema, to enable the establishments to survive the uncertainty brought on by the pandemic. Meanwhile, Minister for Arts, Culture & Heritage, Carmel Sepuloni, said she is closely monitoring the situation of cinemas and has sought advice accordingly.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor