An inmate at an Auckland prison has been found dead in her cell overnight, NZ Herald reports. Corrections has confirmed that a woman in custody died at the Auckland Region Women’s Corrections Facility in Wiri, South Auckland. According to Prison director Steve Parr, staff on site were carrying out a welfare check just after 4.20am when they found the inmate unresponsive in her cell. They were not able to resuscitate the woman despite all efforts. Police were called and will notify the woman’s relatives.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor