Workers at the Ports of Auckland still fear they could die on the job, as pressures to clear freight are put above their safety – and urgent action is needed, Newshub reveals. An Auckland Council-led safety review into the Ports is expected to be released in coming weeks, but some wharfies fear no real change will happen until there is change at the top. The Ports have come under immense pressure over the past year – COVID-19 and the implementation of new automated cranes have caused huge backlogs.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor