A man who was shot dead by police had absconded from bail while awaiting sentencing at Manukau District Court for a sledgehammer bank robbery, Stuff reports. Tangaru-Noere Turia, 34, was shot three times after police said he failed to surrender a shotgun during an incident at Avis Ave, Papatoetoe, on February 25. Turia, who was a ‘501′ deportee, spent much of his life in Australia before being sent back to New Zealand in 2017.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor