Nearly 700 university staff are losing or leaving their jobs because of the financial hole left by falling foreign enrolments, RNZ reports. Eight institutions are missing hundreds of millions in student fees this year, and expecting no more than 10,000 international students – less than half the normal figure. The eight institutions most affected are University of Auckland, AUT, University of Waikato, Massey University, Victoria University of Wellington, University of Canterbury, Lincoln University and University of Otago.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor