A shocked mother is warning that central Auckland is unsafe at night, after her family was targeted in an unprovoked attack that left five people injured, NZ Herald reports. A gathering of 13 family members and friends – including an elderly grandmother – had been celebrating a 50th birthday party at a karaoke bar on Wyndham St in the early hours of Saturday morning, when they were ambushed from behind by a group of men wielding hammers and bottles. Her son, brother-in-law and niece’s boyfriend sustained injuries.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor