A coroner has issued a warning regarding unattended candles, following a man’s death in a house fire, Stuff reports. Henele Maafu Halatanu, 55, died from soot inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning, when his Pukekohe rental went up in flames in July 2018. Further investigations by Fire and Emergency NZ revealed the fire was started by an unattended candle, which Halatanu had used for lighting as the house was not connected to power.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor