Construction of Onehunga’s Community Recycling Centre started on Monday, following a blessing by Ngaati Whanaunga and Te Ākitai Waiohua, Auckland Council announces. The facility is expected to divert the equivalent of more than a quarter of a million wheelie bins of material that would otherwise be going to landfill. Community Recycling Centres upcycle unwanted items, providing an affordable option for people who benefit from not needing to buy new things. The Onehunga Community Recycling Centre received $2.24 million of funding from the Ministry for the Environment’s Waste Minimisation Fund, to help kickstart this development.
- Ōrakei kaumātua return home, decades after settlement was razed by the Crown
- Family’s lucky escape as truck crashes into West Auckland home
- Waiheke marina: Protectors hīkoi to High Court at Auckland for injunction hearing
- Three Auckland nightclubs listed as ‘close contact’ locations of interest
- Non-perishables being collected in Auckland for Tonga from Friday