Construction of Onehunga’s Community Recycling Centre started on Monday, following a blessing by Ngaati Whanaunga and Te Ākitai Waiohua, Auckland Council announces. The facility is expected to divert the equivalent of more than a quarter of a million wheelie bins of material that would otherwise be going to landfill. Community Recycling Centres upcycle unwanted items, providing an affordable option for people who benefit from not needing to buy new things. The Onehunga Community Recycling Centre received $2.24 million of funding from the Ministry for the Environment’s Waste Minimisation Fund, to help kickstart this development.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor