A community cafe on Auckland’s Karangahape Rd may be forced to close if it fails to raise $60,000 by the end of the month, RNZ reports. For more than ten years, Merge Cafe has been a haven for the city’s homeless, where they can grab a cuppa and a hot meal, and have a chat with a peer support worker. For months, the cafe has been running at a loss, due largely to the cancellation of key fundraising events on the back of Auckland’s repeated Covid-19 lockdowns.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor