A new Hamilton to Auckland passenger train service called Te Huia starts on April 9, RNZ reports. Commuter trains last ran between the two cities in 2001, but closed after an unsuccessful 16-month trial. The $78m funding for the new train service was approved in December 2018, and will be used over the first six years from 2019 to 2024. The service was supposed to start in 2020 but was postponed due to Covid-19 and track maintenance in Auckland.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor