A new Hamilton to Auckland passenger train service called Te Huia starts on April 9, RNZ reports. Commuter trains last ran between the two cities in 2001, but closed after an unsuccessful 16-month trial. The $78m funding for the new train service was approved in December 2018, and will be used over the first six years from 2019 to 2024. The service was supposed to start in 2020 but was postponed due to Covid-19 and track maintenance in Auckland.
- Ōrakei kaumātua return home, decades after settlement was razed by the Crown
- Family’s lucky escape as truck crashes into West Auckland home
- Waiheke marina: Protectors hīkoi to High Court at Auckland for injunction hearing
- Three Auckland nightclubs listed as ‘close contact’ locations of interest
- Non-perishables being collected in Auckland for Tonga from Friday