Kura kaupapa Māori is reconsidering school ties with Auckland’s Unitec, following allegations of racism, Stuff reports. Tensions went on high level between Unitec’s administration and Māori leaders, when the tertiary institution appointed a new board and chief executive without consulting Māori representatives. The decision to cut ties may see a drop in Māori student numbers for Unitec, as the kura’s year 12 and 13 students attend classes at the institution and many often move on to study there after graduating.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor