Tenancy Services is set to investigate whether a windowless room being advertised in central Auckland – just big enough for two single beds, and at a cost of $160 per bed, per week – has breached rental rules, Stuff reports. Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) mandates that every habitable room is required to have a window or another way of letting in light and ventilation. Gimme Shelter Aotearoa founder, James Crow, has expressed that the room and rental price is a symptom of a “gross lack of affordable or appropriate housing” in the city.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor