Eight people were rescued from a sinking waka in Auckland, after the wake from other boats caused it to take on water, Stuff reports. Coastguard volunteers arrived five minutes later and transferred the eight people, who were said to be in good spirits, a bit damp but otherwise uninjured, onto their rescue vessel. The paddlers were brought back to Okahu Bay with their waka under tow.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor