About 5,000 litres of methyl methacrylate was accidentally released from storage at a specialist chemical business on Industrial Road in Penrose, South Auckland, Auckland Council announced. The Council’s staff as well as environment health and pollution experts arrived at the scene as soon as the incident, which occured on Thursday last week, was reported. Methyl methacrylate is used to produce plastics and adhesives. While it has low toxicity, it can cause eye, skin or respiratory irritation and headaches, and has an acrid, fruity odour. Auckland Regional Public Health Service’s Medical Officer of Health, Dr David Sinclair, advised the public to take precautionary approaches and to close doors and windows if they could smell the chemical.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor