A south Auckland tenant has been awarded $30,000 from the Tenancy Tribunal, after his family spent three years living in a sleepout with no insulation or sufficient ventilation, Stuff reports. Sukhmander Singh Brar and his family had rented the property on Takanini School Road from PFSL Rentals Ltd. Brar told the Tenancy Tribunal he wanted a full refund of rent fees, because the property he was living in was “unlawful”. Tribunal adjudicator Jack Tam agreed the property was unlawful because it had only been consented as a “games room” or additional sleepout, and not a place of residency.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor