NZ Herald reports police are looking for an armed person in West Auckland who pointed a firearm at two people. There are no reports of injuries. Last month the Herald revealed that police seized over 600 firearms (including 20 military-style semi-automatics) across Auckland in less than a year. According to the figures released by the Official Information Act, the escalation in gun violence has left seven people dead since December 2018. Phil Goff, the Mayor of Auckland, blames drug trafficking and organized crime for this spike in violence.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor