Residents were warned to stay indoors when a fire broke out at a scrap metal yard sending plumes of smoke billowing across south Auckland, Stuff reports. A Fire and Emergency New Zealand teamfought the blaze at Global Metal Solutions on Hunua Road, Papakura. Counties Manukau Area Commander, Geoff Purcell, said the fire began when something ignited a huge pile of scrap outside the factory. Meanwhile, a spokeswoman from the Asthma and Respiratory Foundation advised anyone with a respiratory condition to stay inside, as smoke from the fire could worsen existing respiratory conditions.