A magnitude 4.5 earthquake has shaken up the Bay of Plenty, striking shortly before 8am on Monday, January 25th, Newshub reports. Initial information from GeoNet indicates the quake was 4km deep and hit around 20km east of the Rotorua. The quake may have also been felt in Murupara, Opotiki, Rotorua, Taupo, Tauranga, Tokoroa, Whakatane, and surrounding localities. Meanwhile, at least 5000 people reported feeling the aftershock, which hit roughly 15 minutes later.
- Crocodiles splash down in ‘swamp forest’: $62m Auckland Zoo revamp complete
- Long ferry queues worry Waiheke businesses for summer tourist season
- What to do during Labour Weekend in Auckland
- Police arrest 15 young people after driver incidents across Auckland
- PM Jacinda Ardern meets with new Auckland mayor